Cheesy Fish Sticks & Rice Supper

Friday 29 July 2016



I am sharing a super easy, quick and delicious supper with you today for Fish Friday, something which the children will love.  Big kids too.  In truth the whole family will love it!



It's also very economical, and makes a great use of store cupboard ingredients. I love store cupboard meals, don't you?



I bet you have everything in your house to make these right now!  Or maybe not. I always have fish sticks in the freezer.  I like the cod ones.  They are really handy to have on hand, even if all you are going to make is a fish finger butty.





I also keep packs of ready cooked rice in the cupboards, for those times when I need rice at the last minute.  Sometimes I have the flavoured packs but mostly I just have plain and brown basamati.  We also feed our dog rice (along with poached chicken and vegetables) every day.  She loves it.   And she thrives on it along with a multi-vitamin just for pooches.



But I digress . . .  I also keep packs of frozen vegetables in the freezer.  Usually green beans, broccoli and cauliflower, petit pois and then some  mixed vegetables.  They are the closest thing to fresh picked.  I only buy fresh veg from the shops if I am going to cook them right on the day.   They seem to always go off within a few days of me bringing them home. (Other than root vegetables, they seem to be alright.)



In any case, I hope you will try this tasty dish.  I am sure you will love it.





*Cheesy Fish Sticks and Rice Supper*
Serves 4 

This is delicious.  You can make it lower in fat by using low fat cheese and evaporated skim milk instead of cream.  Its a great store cupboard meal as well and a real kid pleaser! 

250g pouch of cooked rice (1 1/2 cups cooked rice)
250ml cream or half and half (or evap milk, 1 cup)
12 frozen fish sticks
180g grated strong cheddar cheese (1 1/2 cups)
(I use the Kerry Low Low which is 33% lower in fat than regular cheese)
1/2 tsp each dried oregano, dried parsley, salt and black pepper
1/4 tsp each onion powder, garlic powder
2 cups cooked vegetables
(I use two single serving pouches of mixed frozen steam vegetables with
carrots, broccoli and cauliflower in them, and it is just perfect.  Cook them for 2 minutes first in the microwave)



Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter a 9 inch square casserole dish.  Mix together the rice, cream, half of the cheese, spices and vegetables until well combined.  Spread into your prepared casserold dish.  Top with the frozen fish sticks.  Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

Bake for about 30 minutes until heated through and golden.   Serve hot.




Simple.  Delicious. Quick.  Easy and nutritious. Economical and family pleasing.  You can't ask for better than that!

Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. Fantastic!! I love fish sticks now and again...no one else does . This gives them a whole new taste. Thanx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just might enjoy this version Local! xo

      Delete
  2. You sure do come up w/ interesting dishes..never a dull moment Marie..I bet the Manor folks still miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they might Monique! Although in all truth she would have fainted if I had ever put anything like this in front of her! haha xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!