Irish Marmalade Cake

Thursday 3 March 2016

 photo DSCN5498_zpsjkyoh4ut.jpg

As you all know, I've been cooking with Marmalade this week, thanks to the people from Mackay's and in honor of National Marmalade Week.  This will probably be my last post on the subject.  I had plans to do a different marmalade recipe each day, but I've been filled up with a horrible cold and sinus/ear infection this week and my plans have had to be shelved.   So I've been using all of the recipe prep that I did last week and this is the last one I was able to get done.  Nevermind . . .  I am ending my Marmalade week with a real winner!

 photo DSCN5499_zpsbivnicva.jpg

This is a delicious cake . . .  a loaf cake.  Stogged full of sweet raisins, and a slight marmalade flavour . . .  and depending on the quality of the marmalade that you use, lots of little sticky bits of peel scattered throughout.

 photo DSCN5500_zpszuttef1j.jpg

It's a "sturdy" loaf  . . .  a "enjoy it with a cup of tea" loaf . . .  a "slice and butter" loaf.

 photo DSCN5502_zpsz1pblrby.jpg

 It's one of those types of tea/cakes/loaves that just gets better with each day that passes.   You won't want to miss out on this one.  Get baking!

 photo DSCN5503_zpsli9uy2ql.jpg


*Irish Marmalade Cake*
Makes one loaf, serving 6 to 8

A sweet and moist marmalade flavoured loaf studded throughout with sticky sweet sultanas.  A delight when sliced, buttered and enjoyed with a nice refreshing hot drink. 

115g of butter, softened (1/2 cup)
115g of soft light brown sugar (generous half cup, packed)
115g of marmalade (half cup)
225g of self raising flour (1 1/2 cups plus 2 TBS)
2 large free range eggs
115g of sultanas (3/4 cup) 


 photo DSCN5504_zpsshp8hdqg.jpg

Preheat the oven to 150*C.300*F/ gas mark 3.  Buttter a 1 pound loaf tin and line with paper.


Cream the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon until  light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs and marmalde.   Stir the sultanas into the flour and add it to the creamed mixture, mixing well together to form a soft batter.  Spoon into the prepared loaf tin, smoothing the top.


  photo DSCN5506_zpswj3eaxbs.jpg

Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until well risen, golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for about 30 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.   Serve cold, cut into slices and buttered.

 photo DSCN5511_zpsiogpf0t2.jpg 

Many thanks to the people at Mackays for sending me all these lovely marmalades to cook with!  They have been greatly enjoyed.

 National Marmalade Week runs from 28th Feb - 6th March 2016. National Marmalade Week is organised by the World Marmalade Awards at Dalemain, Penrith. The Awards will take place from 19th-21st March with the main sponsors being Mackays, Fortnum & Mason and Paddington Bear.

Mackays are a family run business that has stayed true to its values of producing small authentic batches for a quality homemade taste. Their soft fruits are sourced from the best local Scottish fruit farms and our bitter marmalade oranges come from the famous Seville region in Spain.

To find out more do check out their website.
Follow them on Facebook
Follow them on Twitter
Follow them on Pinterest
Follow them on Instagram

2 comments

  1. You should be their worldwide spokesperson:) Well done Marie..I think you have made me want to bake w/ marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monique! I tried my best. If I hadn't been so ill I could have done better! Xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!