Chicken with a Cheese and Ham Crust

Monday 8 February 2016

Chicken with a Cheese and Ham Crust

Chicken with a Cheese and Ham Crust. Chicken with cheese and ham on top.  Not rolled. Just layered. Completely delicious.

I always think it's pretty amazing what you can do with just a few ingredients and a little bit of ingenuity.  Like this recipe here today.  

I had a small bit of leftover ham that I wanted to use up and some chicken breasts and so after putting my thinking cap on I came up with a delicious and simple little entrée that went down a real treat and went together lickity split!

Chicken with a Cheese and Ham Crust

I always have cheese in my refrigerator.  Actually I usually have several kinds.  We like cheese. Guilty as charged.

 It's just one of those things we are never without.  One of our refrigerator basics as it were.  I also had a roll that was left from another meal and so I used that as well.

 Chicken with a Cheese and Ham Crust

With a handful of stale bread crumbs, some cheese and a bit of chopped ham, together with some chopped parsley and some garlic . . .  a knob of butter.

All put together and sprinkled on top of two plain (seasoned) boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  Chicken breasts are like the blank canvases of the poultry world.

There is practically nothing that won't go with them, or that they won't go with!

Chicken with a Cheese and Ham Crust

 Half an hour in the oven and dinner was served . . .  and it was delicious.  We had some steamed new potatoes and broccoli on the side.  

In the time it took to do them, the chicken was done and we sat down to a delicious meal which took next to no time to prepare and got rid of a few bits in my refrigerator and cupboard that needed getting rid of.  

Thrifty and delicious.  You can't go wrong. The quantities are for two people, but this is one of those things that can easily be increased to feed more!  

All the flavors of Chicken Cordon Bleu without any of the faffing about!  I like that!

Chicken with a Cheese and Ham Crust

*Ham and Cheese Crusted Chicken for Two*
Serves two

Quick, easy and delicious.  I had a tiny bit of ham leftover that I wanted to use up.  Waste not want not.  It went perfectly.  Kind of like a deconstructed cordon bleu. 

2 single boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets
(about 4 ounces each)
salt and black pepper
60g of fresh  bread crumbs (about 1 cup)
(I used a stale ciabatta roll)
a small handful of chopped cooked ham (about 1/4 cup)
60g grated strong cheddar cheese (1/2 cup)
2 TBS chopped fresh parsley
1 small clove of garlic, peeled and  minced
1 TBS butter, melted 


Chicken with a Cheese and Ham Crust

 
Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.


Put the bread crumbs into a small bowl.  Toss together with the butter, parsley, cheese, ham and garlic.
Place the chicken breast fillets into a buttered baking dish.  Cover each one with an equal portion of the bread crumb mixture.


Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and the juices from the chicken run clear.  Serve hot. 

Chicken with a Cheese and Ham Crust 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of  The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: theenglishkitchen@mail.com  

8 comments

  1. So simple and delicious. You are like my mother and grandmother in that you can magic an interesting and tasty meal out of a few random bits and pieces in the fridge and cupboard. It's a talent I really admire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! My mom always says that I can make a tast meal out of an old boot! I hope you try the chicken! Xo

      Delete
  2. This looks absolutely fantastic…
    I'm glad that i'm visiting your blog page, it gives me lot of delicious recipes.!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meigan! I'm awfully glad you're visiting! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!