Herby New Potato and Egg Salad

Monday 25 May 2015

 photo DSCN1863_zps1un5cshl.jpg

With it being a Bank Holiday over here in the UK and of course Memorial Day over in America, people will be firing up their grills today and treating themselves to a barbeque . . .  at least if the weather co-operates.   Here in the UK a Bank Holiday usually signals the rain clouds to roll in, but sometimes we get lucky! I have my fingers crossed!

  photo DSCN1864_zps507nlgeo.jpg

I do apologize for my photographs.  My new camera seems to have cracked up so I will be taking it back to where I purchased it.  Thankfully I paid for a service plan when I bought it with a no quibble exchange on it, so it shouldn't be a problem.  I had a guy look at it at church today who is a photographer and he says there is something wrong with the camera.   It is over-exposing everything, even on the automatic settings and that just shouldn't be happening.

 photo DSCN1866_zpsikzkvrqa.jpg

But don't let the bad pictures put you off from enjoying this fabulous potato salad I am showing you here today.  I love potato salads that have eggs in them, but I am not always fond of potato salads that are loaded with tons of mayonnaise.

  photo DSCN1867_zpshfmg3lm0.jpg

I have to say I much prefer a vinaigrett type of dressings on my potato salads . . .  especially ones loaded with lots of fresh herbs like this one here today.  I used some of this years crop of Jersey Royal Potatoes for this.   They are so delicious with a lovely golden flesh and distinct sweetness that you can only enjoy at this time of year.

 photo DSCN18672_zpsiruims9t.jpg

Attributed largely to the quality of the soil on the Isle of Jersey, these springtime beauties are a real treat, but of course I know they are not available everywhere so any new potato will do.   Myself, I try to get my fill of the Jersey Royals whilst they are in season.  They are a real taste treat!

 photo DSCN18671_zpsjwlit4ue.jpg

As is this salad with it's cider vinegar and grainy mustard vinaigrette . . .  fresh chives, parsley and dill  . . .  capers and chopped gherkins . . . and hard boiled egs.  It goes down a real treat with all sorts of grilled meats and poultry . . .  even fish.  Especially fish  . . .  as it embodies alot of the same flavours which you will find in tartar sauce.   Delicious!

  photo DSCN1869_zps92poprlj.jpg

*Herbed New Potato and Egg Salad*
Serves 4

I am a big fan of vinaigrette types of potato salad.  Refreshingly light and non cloying. 

1kg of small new or waxy potatoes (2.4 pounds)
2 TBS non pareil capers, rinsed
1 TBS chopped gherkins
a handful of chives, finely chopped
a handful of dillweed, finely chopped
a good handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and quartered lengthwise
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 

For the dressing:
1 TBS cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp grainy Dijon mustard
3 TBS olive oil
1/2 tsp sugar 


 photo DSCN1871_zpsi80ui6ba.jpg 


Place the potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted water and bring to the boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook for eight to twelve minutes until tender.   Drain well in a seieve and then place the sieve over the warm saucepan to dry the potatoes out somewhat.

 photo DSCN1873_zpsppn7izox.jpg


Place all of the ingredients for the dressing into a screw top jar, screw on the lid and then shake vigorously to emulsify.


Quarter the potatoes into a bowl while still quite warm. ( If they are very tiny, just halve.)  Toss gently to coat.  Leave to cool.   Gently fold in the capers, gherkins, herbs, some salt and some pepper.  Taste and adjust seasoning as required.   Gently fold in the quartered hard boiled eggs.   Serve.

5 comments

  1. I could eat it for breakfast now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also not as fond of heavy, creamy sauces on potato salad (although I make an exception for Russian Egg Salad).

    This salad sounds really tasty and ideal to try out when the new potatoes start appearing next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would probably be tasty for breakfast Monique! xx

    I haven't tried Russian Egg Salad Marie. I must put it on my bucket list!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heck with the potato salad, I love the tablecloth on which the bowl is resting. I have a very special attraction for blue and white together and especially things along this pattern type. Good Choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Pamela! It's actually it's a Greengate tea towel that I bought a few years ago from Berry Red!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!