Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

Thursday 20 February 2014




 photo SAM_3199_zps2a3db1a1.jpg

Does this look tasty???   I know!  It DOES, and it hasn't even been baked yet!

  photo SAM_3201_zps8ff17063.jpg

Can you imagine how delicious something that looks as tasty as this before it's baked, is going to taste after it's been baked and is ready to eat???   I KNOW!

 photo SAM_3202_zpsd38d9ec7.jpg

I won't make you wait any longer . . . here it is fresh out of the oven.  A delicious Chicken and Broccoli Casserole, made without any of those cream of whatever soups . . . just pure and simple ingredients . . .

  photo SAM_3206_zps4c4befd9.jpg

Fresh ingredients such as crispy tender Broccoli Florets . . . leftover roasted chicken breast meat . . . thinly sliced onions, creme fraiche, chicken stock . . . cheese, two kinds . . . and toasted fresh bread crumbs, flavoured with butter, garlic, seasoning and mixed herbs . . .

 photo SAM_3213_zpse7a66e70.jpg

Refreshingly different.   Moreishly tasty.  Rich and cheesy  . . .  crispy on top.  Nicest Chicken Casserole I have eaten in a while.  It went down a real treat with some boiled baby potatoes on the side.   You'll want some crusty bread to sop up the juices with too . . . if you don't like this, I'll eat my hat!

  photo SAM_3212_zpse0c71822.jpg

*Chicken and Broccoli Casserole*
Serves 4 

A deliciously different chicken casserole than the usual chicken and broccoli one.  There is no cream soup involved.  Just lovely fresh and simple ingredients.  I used tenderstem broccoli today, but you can use whichever broccoli you wish to use.  

400g of broccoli florets, broken (a large crown)
2 TBS butter, divided
1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
350g of cooked chicken, torn into bite sized pieces (about 3 cups)
100g creme fraiche (scant cup)
200ml of chicken stock (7 fluid ounces)
25g of fresh bread crumbs, coarse (1 ounce)
pinch of garlic powder and mixed herbs
60g of grated strong cheddar cheese (1/2 cup)
60g of grated emmenthaler cheese (1/2 cup)    

 photo SAM_3214_zpse97c598f.jpg  


Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil.  Add the broccoli and then cook until just crispy tender.  Drain well and rinse in cold water to prevent cooking further.  Drain again. 

Melt 1 TBS of the butter in a skillet and add the onion.  Cook, stirring over medium heat until the onion has softened without colouring.   Set aside.

Layer the broccoli, chicken, onion and cheese in an oven proof dish, ending with cheese.  Season lightly with some salt and pepper.  I usually do this on top of the chicken layer.  Mix together the creme fraiche and stock.  Pour this over all.  Melt the remaining butter in the saucepan and add the breadcrumbs.  Season lightly with salt and pepper.  Stir in a pinch of garlic powder and the mixed herbs.  Cook to crisp.  Sprinkle them over top of the casserole dish.  Place onto a baking sheet and then bake in the heated oven until golden brown and bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes.  Serve hot.

7 comments

  1. Great winter meal:)All in one almost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie, this blog is such a treasure!!! I came here today looking for a good soup recipe, and found so many I am having trouble deciding which one to make!

    Do you have an electric pressure cooker? I recently bought one and have found that it makes the most flavorful soups I've ever had! It's so easy to use, too! I would love to see what you would do with one!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Monique! It is a fab meal.

    Kate I don't have an electric pressure cooker. I wish I did! Maybe some company will give me one! I would love to test one and see what I could do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely warming meal...my kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really good Beth. I hope you do try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!