Easy Apricot Tarts

Saturday 20 July 2013

  photo SAM_7492_zpsa218a1d3.jpg

Oh boy . . .  it's hot, Hot, HOT!  Not complaining though . . . well not much anyways.  We have to take our blessings where we find them.  One thing though this heat is not really very conducive to cooking.  I've been trying to stay as cool as I can and just do simple things.  Salads mostly . . . but there is the odd dessert that I can make which won't heat up the kitchen too much . . .

 photo SAM_7493_zpse44fbdc5.jpg

Easy desserts like these fresh apricot tarts.  I had picked up a punnet of fresh apricots for a pound the other day, with this exact idea in mind and what could I do . . . fruit goes off so quickly in this heat, so I had to make them . . .

 photo SAM_7497_zps958982e3.jpg

Good thing they are quick and easy.   Simple to make too.  Even Todd could manage this I think . . . well, I like to think he could, but I probably wouldn't let him just in case he couldn't.  He's quite adept at using a tin opener . . . but anything else, I don't know.  I'd have to stand over him and instruct him the whole way through.  I'd rather just do it myself.

 photo SAM_7498_zps64078890.jpg

You end up with nicely lightly cooked apricots on a bed of apricot jam and almonds, topping a crisp puff pastry crust . . . lightly sugared.     Deliciously easy.

 photo SAM_7501_zpsc9811788.jpg

I like to serve something cool on top . . . like some creme fraiche or ice cream . . . but custard or cream would go quite well too.  In fact you can do most stone fruits in this simple manner.  Apples and pears too.  Just adjust the flavor of jam and Bob's your Uncle!

 photo SAM_7494_zpsfae6d7bc.jpg    


*Easy Apricots Tarts*
Makes 6
Printable Recipe

These are a real doddle to make.  You can have an easy, quick and delicious dessert on the table in no time at all.  I like to serve them with a dollop of creme fraiche, but do feel free to use ice cream, clotted cream or whipped cream!  You can also substitute other stone fruits for the apricots, or even sliced apples or pears, changing the flavour of jam to accommodate.  With apples and pears I would use a ginger conserve, or even some marmalade would be nice.

1 sheet of ready roll puffed pastry
6 TBS apricot jam
6 TBS ground almonds
12 fresh apricots, halved and stoned
milk for brushing
coarse sugar for sprinkling
warmed apricot jam for brushing

 photo SAM_7505_zps6c6f2692.jpg

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Line a large baking tray with nonstick paper.

Unroll your sheet of puff pastry and cut into six equal rectangles.  Place each onto the baking sheet, leaving space between.  Using a sharp knife, cut a border edge all the way around, about 1cm in and taking care not to cut all the way through.  Brush the edge with milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.  Spoon 1 TBS of apricot jam in the centre of each and spread it to the border.   Sprinkle 1 TBS of ground almonds over each.   Top each tart with four apricot halves. 

 photo SAM_7502_zps7794af71.jpg

Bake in the heated oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown and the fruit is knife tender.  Remove from the oven and brush all over with warm apricot jam.  Serve at room temperature with some cream, creme fraiche, ice cream, etc.  Deliciously simple!

3 comments

  1. yummy!Marie I love apricots and this look just delicious!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple yet divine! Apricots go so well with almonds don't they? I love it when two foodie items go together and start with the same letter!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!