White Chocolate and Date Biscuits (aka cookies)

Saturday 18 May 2013



I was going to wait until the weekend to show you these . . . but I can't. These biscuits (cookies) are so stupendous that you deserve to hear all about them right NOW!



They're not much to look at I admit . . . In fact, they look just like any other cookie on this planet . . . but that is where the similarity to any other cookie on earth ends . . . don't let their simple homey appearance fool you. Beneath the surface this cookie is like the Brad Pitt and George Clooney of all cookies! Be still my heart!



Imagine a biscuit so buttery and moreish that you have a hard time eating just one . . . you have a hard time eating just two . . . you have a hard time eating just THREE!



In fact . . . you just want to sit down and eat them all in one sitting . . . before the hubster gets home from work . . . before the kidlets get home from school . . . before the dog wakes up from his afternoon snooze . . .

They'll return home to find you in a Heavenly stupor . . . with buttery cookie crumbs clinging to your indulgently satisfied smile . . .



Chock full of lovely chopped dates, all sticky and sweet . . .

Studded with creamily delicious white chocolate chunks . . .

Buttery, soft and chewy in the middle, and yet . . . crisp and crunchy on the edges . . .

in short . . . the most perfect cookie ever baked.



Super indulgent . . . scrummy . . . *oh my word . . . lock these away, they're so darn tasty I can't trust myself with them* good . . .



Yes, I kid you not. If you don't bake these today and declare them the best cookies you have ever EVER baked, then there's no hope for you . . .



There really isn't. Don't say I didn't warn you . . .

Now stand back . . . I'm goin in for more!




*White Chocolate and Date Biscuits*
(aka Cookies)
Makes about 15
Printable Recipe

Superdy duperdy delicious! You will want to double this recipe, or even triple it. These are fantastically heavenly.

50g (about 3 1/2 TBS) unsalted butter, at room temperature
80g golden caster sugar (1/3 cup, plus 1 tsp)
few drops of vanilla extract
1 large egg, at room temperature
70g whole, pitted dates, cut into chunks
(about 1 cup)
50g of good quality white chocolate, cut into chunks
(about 1 cup)
130g plain flour (a scant 1 cup)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat the oven to 160*C/325*F/ Gas mark3. Line two baking sheets with baking paper and set aside.

Beat together the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until light and creamy. Add the vanilla and egg, mixing it in well. Sift together the flour and baking powder and stir into the creamed mixture. Stir in the chocolate and the dates.

Drop walnut sized drops onto the prepared baking tins, making sure that you leave a lot of space between them as they spread. I do 7 or 8 per baking sheet at most.

Bake for about 25 minutes, or until they are pale golden brown, and a bit crispy on the edges. (I move the trays around halfway through the baking time so that they bake evenly.) Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.

5 comments

  1. Oh, I wonder if I could make these with rice flour and make them gluten free?
    I love dates and white chocolate, sounds like a good marriage to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I,am not sure Kay, as I haven't really done much gluten free cooking. Why not take your favourite gluten free cookie mix and add dates and white chocolate to that? Sounds like a good plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of combining white chocolate with dates. Sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie,

    I just tried this recipe but I adapted it by making it dairy and egg free. My cookies didn't spread like yours but i'm guessing that is because I skipped the egg and my white choc was dairy free. I found the cookies rather too sweet but they are very moreish as you describe. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome Kim! Nice to know you can leave out the egg and they are still edible!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!