Oven Baked Breaded Pork Chops

Friday 2 November 2012

 

We had the Missionaries for tea today. There are two sets of two each here in Chester, now . . . but you are only allowed to feed two at a time. One set has a car and the other doesn't. Today we had the car-less ones and next week we'll have the other pair.

 

 We've only ever had girl missionaries once . . . I liked to spoil them too . . . and it was fun to share recipes with them . . . but that was only once for a few months.  They were nice girls, well . . . young women really.  They helped to pack up our books for us when we were moving back up here to Chester from Brenchley in Kent.

 

Girls add a special touch to everything they do . . . the nicest thing was when I was unpacking the books and found a little note from one of them.  She had drawn a little picture and left a message and tucked it in amongst the books.  It was so nice to see . . . and helped me to feel a bit less bereft . . .
Boys/men . . . not quite the same, but special in their own unique ways.  I do like to spoil them all . . . and part of how I do that is feeding them whenever I can.

 

Today I did my special oven baked pork chops for the lads.  They went down a real treat along with mash and carrots . . . salad (girls like salad, boys not so much), crusty rolls . . . and for dessert some scrummy Fluffer Nutter Brownies (Look for them tomorrow) and a little taste of home . . . pistachio pudding.

 

I managed to get one photo of the chops plated, but that is all.  Todd doesn't like me photographing the food when they are here.  He's afraid they will think I'm a bit of a nut, I think . . . but that's ok.  I don't mind who thinks I am a nut . . . so I got one photo.

 

The others . . . I took them in the kitchen when I was plating up . . . what the eye don't see the heart don't grieve they say, and Todd was none the wiser . . . 

You want a nice thick pork chops for these . . . old fashioned ones with a bit of fat and bone.  Those are the more tender ones.  It's more of a method than a recipe really . . . very simple and very delicious.  You can adapt it to as many servings as you wish.  They are always very well received.  And today . . . well, today was no exception. ☺

 

*Oven Baked Breaded Pork Chops*
These directions are for one chop, but can be multiplied
to as many as you want to serve.
Printable Recipe


This is more of a method than a recipe.  It is the way I have been doing my breaded pork chops for years and years.  They always end up tender and moist.  The crumbs on the bottom don't always stick, but they do meld into the juices to make a luscious sauce and the crumbs on the top always stay put.  All in all they are truly delicious.

1 bone in pork chop per person
salt, pepper, dried sage and garlic powder
2 TBS of fine dry bread crumbs per chop
butter to dot
apple juice

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F.  Line a large shallow baking tray with foil and lightly grease the foil.  Onto the baking sheet place as many chops are you are wanting to serve.  Obviously if you are only cooking one or two you will want a smaller baking tray.  Dust the top surface of each chop with some salt, pepper, sage (rubbed between your fingertips) and garlic powder to taste.  Then sprinkle a tablespoon of bread crumbs evenly over top of each one. Dot with butter.  Pour apple juice into the baking tray evenly around the chops, trying not to disturb the crumbs on top. Place the tray into the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, checking to make sure the apple juice does not boil dry in the pan.  Once the crumbs have begun to brown on top, remove the pan from the oven.  Carefully turn each chop over without disturbing the crumb topping and repeat the process for seasoning and crumbing on the underside.  If you need more juice in the pan, once again pour it around the chops.

  Return the pan to the oven and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, until nicely browned on top and the juices have thickened into a bit of a sauce.  Check every 10 minutes or so to make sure the pan is not going dry and top up with more juice if need be.  Serve hot with some of the pan juices spooned over top.  Fabulous!

6 comments

  1. I have just discovered you from Silver Bunny's blog. I love the way you write and the recipes I've looked at so far seem delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these porl chops, look delicious Marie, huggs to you and Todd:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Marie
    By chance came around your blog. This is a very easy & wonderful AND healthy recipe. Had some chicken breasts at home, so tried with them. Turned out very tasty. I used olive oil instead of butter. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks mouths hi! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These Pork Chops were so good, moist and healthy vs fried. I used 2 subs, I didn't have sage so I used poultry seasoning, and I don't like beer so I used chicken broth...PERFECT.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use apple juice Sky, not beer. Don't know where the beer idea came from, in any case I am so glad that you enjoyed them and that you took the time to come back and let me know! Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!