Ginger, White Chocolate Chunk and Macadamia Nut Blondies

Saturday 27 October 2012

 

I have a fabulous  recipe for Double Chocolate Chunk Blondies that I just love. They always turn out rich, moist and perfectly scrummy.  Moreish even . . . In fact I'd go so far as to even call them dangerous.



Yesterday I decided to shake things up a bit and switch a few things around . . . using the same batter, so that they would keep that moist and fudgy texture . . .

 

But substituting the vanilla flavor with ginger . . . in four delicious forms.  Some in the form of the syrup from a jar of Preserved Ginger-root, some as finely grated fresh ginger, some as dried ground ginger and finally some as chopped preserved ginger-root.  Oh I do so love preserved ginger-root.



I could just pick knobs of it from the jar and eat them like candy.  They're just lovely.  You might be tempted to think that with four kinds of ginger, it would be too much, but you would be completely wrong.  It was just the right amount, giving lots of flavour and just a touch of heat, but in a very good way.



I offset it with white chocolate.  Ginger and white chocolate are a marriage made in heaven.  Oh my . . . they are perfect together . . .  You get the crisp sweetness of the preserved ginger, and then that creamy sweetness which provides an equal amount of balance in the opposite direction . . .



And then I added the crunch of Macadamia Nuts . . . just love Macadamia Nuts, don't you???
A friend once sent me a tin of honey roasted ones from Hawaii and they were sooooo good.  Almost the best nut temptations that I have ever eaten . . . and I have dreamt about them since . . . hopefully one day I will be able to taste them again.

 

Maybe I will be able to figure out a way to make them myself.  Now that is a challenge . . . I just may try.
In the meantime, these squares are so deliciously good.  Every bite brings you fabulous textures . . . fudgy cake, creamy chocolate, snappy ginger, and crunchy nuts.  T'was a splendid idea I think.



Oh, all of this experimentation and taste testing is a tough job . . . but somebody has to do it . . .



 *Ginger, White Chocolate Chunk and Macadamia Nut Blondies*
Makes 48
Printable Recipe

Deliciously moreish blonde brownies, moist and  stogged full of four kinds of ginger, white chocolate chunks and scrummy macadamia nuts! What's not to like?

140g of butter, melted (1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 TBS)
400g soft light brown muscovado sugar (3/4 cup plus 1 TBS, lightly packed)
1 TBS ginger syrup from a jar of preserved ginger in syrup
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger-root
1 tsp ground ginger
2 knobs of preserved ginger in syrup, coarsely chopped
3 large free range eggs, lightly beaten
300g of plain flour (2 1/2 cups)
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
50g of macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
100g of coarsely chopped good quality white chocolate (1 medium size bar.  I use Green & Blacks)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Line a 9 inch square pan with baking paper, leaving an overhang.  Lightly spray with cooking spray.  Set aside.

Place the butter into a large saucepan and melt over low heat.  Stir in the muscovado sugar, ginger syrup, grated ginger-root, ground ginger and preserved ginger.  Mix well.  Allow to cool until lukewarm.  Beat in the eggs.  Sift together the salt, baking powder and flour.  Fold this into the wet ingredients, just to mix and blend.  Don't overmix.  Stir in the nuts and chocolate.  Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan.

Bake for 25 minutes, until just firm.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before lifting out onto a rack, using the overhang.  Allow to cool completely before removing the paper and cutting into squares.  Store in a tightly covered container for up to 4 days.

13 comments

  1. Oh WOW, what fun flavors!! I love switching up flavors in tried and true recipes, it's one of my favorite things about baking!! And I love macadamia nuts too! Second favorite, next to almonds. Honey roasted ones sound positively dangerous. Mmmm....
    Hugs!! Me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These must be the Marilyn Monroe of Blondies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks just wonderful..:) Duly noted..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Marie !
    Are you on line? I would like some help . With what can I substitude the ground almond in your French pear, almond and cardamon cake?
    OR can you suggest any other pear and chocolate cake recipe?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen, you could use an equal amount of ground hazelnuts, or an equal amount of ground oats, plus 1 tsp sunflower oil! Hope this helps. Let me know how you make out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sounds amazing, we LOVE stem ginger, when I find it I buy a couple jars, I put it in my tea and its yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is fabulous ; all your recipes are just mouth-watering !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone. They are rather scrummy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Marie ,yet another fabulous recipe!As I didn't have hazelnuts either I ground the slithered white almonds (is that the right word?) which I happened to have ,about 50 gr and added 50 gr oats which I also ground. I forgot the oil and I was worried it won't work. It came out wonderfully, totally delicious, you can smell and taste the cardamon aroma, absolutely moreish! We had it with a warm chcolate sauce and that was just perfect!
    I thought of sending you a photo but it vanished as soon as it got out of the oven.
    Many thanks about your immediate help.
    Many 'bravos' from my family and me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my word! I know quite a few people who would happily fall face first into a pile of these blondies ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look sinfully good, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look wonderful! I love ginger in baked desserts and I can only imagine that the combination of 4 types of ginger, white chocolate and macadamia nuts is heavenly! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!