A Salad of Chicken, Couscous and Fruit

Tuesday 19 June 2012



I've seen a few salads similar to this floating around. In fact I think my sister has one that's very similar to this on her blog, Flat Belly Files. She uses wheat berries though. Love her dearly . . . we are a bit like chalk and cheese food-wise. She's like the good angel and I'm like the devil, tempting you with decadance . . .



I think there's room for a bit of both . . . probably would be better if you ate more like she does . . . with the occasional treat. That's what I am aiming for anyways . . . most of the time.



Ok, ok . . . so, in all honesty . . . it only appears to be some of the time. I try, that's what counts!



This salad is loosely based on a waldorf chicken salad . . . with apples, nuts, celery . . . but with no thick mayo gunking it up . . . it has a lovely honey/lemon dressing, which is . . . juuuussssttt right! (as Goldilocks would say!)



It's a great way to use up leftover roast chicken and I think it looks rather pretty on a plate. I have mine here on a bed of watercress . . . but any greenery will do.



I think that looks rather healthy, don't you??



*A Salad of Chicken, Couscous and Fruit*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

A wonderful marriage of flavours, colours and textures that comes together beautifully. I quite, quite like this . . . and it's kinda healthy too!!

For the dressing:
the juice of 1/2 lemon
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp runny honey
pinch of ground cinnamon
pinch ground cardamom
pinch salt
a good grinding of black pepper
2 TBS chopped flat leaf parsley

For the salad
100g uncooked Israeli Whole Wheat Coucous (1/2 cup)
1 vegetable stock pot
boiling water
1 eating apple, washed, cored and chopped
1 stick of celery, washed, trimmed and chopped
2 cooked skinless boneless chicken breasts, chopped (about 2 cups)
a handful of dried sweetened cranberries
a handful of toasted pecan nuts, chopped

Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.

Drop the vegetable stock pot into the boiling water. Add the couscous and bring back to the boil. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes and then drain. Do not rinse if you can help it. Drop the drained couscous into the bowl with the dressing. Stir to coat and leave set to cool in the dressing.

Once the couscous is cold and most of the dressing has been absorbed add the chopped apple, celery, chicken and cranberries. Toss together. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. You may need a bit of salt, depending on the strength of your stock. Stir in the toasted pecans just before serving.

Serve on a bed of salad greens, rocket or watercress. Delicious!

2 comments

  1. Mmmmm....this sure looks and sounds yummy! I will def have to try this as I have never tried the Israeli couscous and this looks so appetizing. xxoo'x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're timing is perfect Marie! With temperatures soaring into the 90's this week, I'll be looking to light meals just like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!