Roasted Summer Berries, with Honey Whipped Cream

Saturday 23 June 2012



We may not be having dry weather here at the moment . . . and it's not really been warm . . . it's probably the nicest weather for Wimbleton . . . but that hasn't stopped the Strawberries from ripening . . . and it hasn't stopped me from indulging!



SCRUMMO!! I love, Love, LOVE Strawberry Season. I keep myself from eating them the whole of the year so that I can enjoy them even more in the summertime.



And this was the perfect way to welcome in the first day of summer . . .



Gently roasted summer strawberries, lightly sweetened with a mixture of butter, brown sugar . . . and lightly spiced with some ground cardamom . . .



Roasted just long enough to make them even sweeter, but not long enough to make them mushy . . . they still retain a bit of their bite . . .



Spooned into your prettiest dishes and then topped with some lovely softely whipped cream flavoured with honey and vanilla . . .



Sigh . . . this is summer in a bowl. The rain may fall and the wind may lash against the window panes . . . but summer is here . . .



and it comes in a plump juicy berry, wearing a little green cap!



*Roasted Summer Berries, with Honey Whipped Cream*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

One of the tastiest of summer treats!

500g of English Strawberries (about 1 pound)
2 TBS butter
4 TBS soft light brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cardamom

For the Cream:
225ml of double or whipping cream (1 cup)
2 TBS runny honey (I like wildflower or clover)
a few drops of vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Wash and then gently dry the berries with some paper towelling. Hull them and if they are large, cut in half.

Whip the cream with a wire wisk until it just starts to peak. Stir in the honey and vanilla. Set aside and keep cool.

Melt the butter in an ovenproof skillet. Add the sugar and cardamom and stir to melt the sugar. Once the sugar is melted, turn off the heat and add the berries, tossing them gently to coat them in the mixture. Bang the pan into the oven. Roast for 2 to 3 minutes, give them a stir, and roast for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the oven.

Spoon the roasted berries into serving dishes and top each serving with a dollop of the honey cream. Drizzle any juices over top. Serve immediately.

6 comments

  1. Omy dear Marie this look absolutely nice and delicious I love really love strawberries! Look fantastic! Send you love to you and Todd:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I just made some strawberry-basil pudding. I'm thinking your honey whipped cream would be the perfect garnish. My strawberries are just starting to come and I can't wait to try them roasted with a (big) dollop of honey whipped cream. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I adore how you've served this in a porcelain teacup! Pretty berries deserve a pretty presentation : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying not to buy strawberries here at the moment with it being winter. I try to stay true to the rule of buying only seasonal local produce...but Marie you've made it awfully difficult because these babies look delish!
    Have a good week...still trying to catch my tail...so a little behind...well A LOT BEHIND truth be told! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I absolutely love the look of this!! And so quick and easy.. strawberries and cream are such an english all-time favourite! My british wife and son are in for a treat this weekend!! thanks Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow it is clearly delicious since the photos.. and the idea of the cup it's definitely elegant!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!