Mrs R's Date & Nut Loaf

Sunday 3 June 2012

 

I was feeling very nostalgic today and so I made a Date & Nut loaf.  I just love Date & Nut loaf, and so does Todd.



My mother always made a beautiful one.  We loved it when she made it and when she made her War Cake for us at Christmas.  (It was full of fat sticky raisins! I love raisins.)

 

I couldn't find mom's recipe today though . . . so I used my ex mother in law's.  It's a really good recipe too.  Moist and scrummy . . . and filled with lots of walnuts and sticky dates.

 

Oh so perfect with a hot cuppa herbal tea.  Spread with butter . . . of course.  In for a penny, in for a pound!

 

Perfect for elevensies, or afternoo tea . . . or for just munching on when you feel a bit peckish.

 

It's very low fat . . . there are only 2 TBS of fat in the entire loaf.  That's not bad eh!
I think I'll have another piece!



*Mrs R's Date and Nut Loaf*
Makes one 8 by 4 loaf
Printable Recipe

A moist and delicious loaf to serve with tea.

1 cup dates, chopped (170g)
3/4 cup boiling water (6 fluid ounces)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 TBS butter
3/4 cup sugar (145g)
1 large free range egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour (150g)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (60g)
several whole walnuts to decorate

Preheat the oven to 160*C/325*F/ gas mark 3.  Butter and flour an 8 by 4 inch loaf tin.  Set aside.

Put the dates into a bowl.  Pour the boiling water over top and add the soda.  Mix, cover and let stand until the mixture cools.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  Stir in the flour and salt, then add the cooled date mixture.  Stir in the chopped walnuts Don't over mix.  Spread in the prepared loaf tin.  Smooth over the top.  Place a few whole walnut halves on top in a decorative manner.  Bake for 1 hour or until well risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.  Allow to sit in the pan for 5 minutes, before tipping out onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely.

Store covered in an airtight container.  This tastes even better the next day.  We like it sliced and spread with softened butter.

5 comments

  1. Hopefully you are feeling better and that date and walnut loaf will definately hit the spot. Can you post that recipe for the war cake? Cheers for a lovely nostalgic post. Everyones mum or gran made this sort of cake and the flavour is reminiscent of "home" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum always makes the one from the Bero cook book.lIt is delicious spread with butter with a cuppa! Really easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds perfect for a little something and your cuppa.... I love dates and will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks SO delicious - yes wonderful with a cuppa - I have a ton of dates - so perfect -
    Mary oxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love date and walnut loaf, used to make it a lot when the children were at home. Cherry and coconut was another favourite - that's the one I tend to make when people ask for cakes for a stall as it's quick and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!