Apple Pie Cake with a Brown Sugar and Rum Sauce

Wednesday 11 April 2012



We had some people over for dinner tonight, and I cooked a pretty nice meal I guess. Nothing too out of the ordinary. We had grilled chicken breasts that I had marinated all day in a Ranch type of marinade. Then I had made a hot German Potato Salad, and cooked some green beans, which we had with the grilled chicken along with a tossed salad and some crusty rolls.



The piece de resistance though was this fabulous cake. One of the guests said it was the best dessert he had ever eaten . . . and well, not to brag or anything . . . it is pretty good, if I don't say so myself.



A moist and tender cake, which is stogged full of lovely warm spices and chunks of apple . . .
Baked in a pie dish so that it is shaped like an apple pie. Oh , it smells like heaven when it is baking . . . all comforting and spicy and scrummy.



But that's not all . . . no . . . that's not all . . .



While it is baking you make this totally scrumdiddlyumptious brown sugar rum sauce to spoon over top of baked cake. You can serve it warm, or at room temperature. It's decadently delicious either way.



OF course a dollop of whipped cream, is it's crowning glory.



Go ahead . . . dig in. You won't be sorry. It may not look like much, but this is one case where looks are quite, quite deceiving. This is a true winner.



*Apple Pie Cake with a Brown Sugar and Rum Sauce*
Serves 6 to 8
Printable Recipe

It's a cake, shaped like a pie and stogged full of apples and spice, with a delicious brown sugar and rum flavoured sauce to spoon over top. Yummy!

2 ounces butter softened (1/4 cup)
190g of caster sugar (1 cup)
1 large free range egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
150g of plain flour, sifted (1 cup)
2 TBS hot water
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped (about 3 cups)

For the Sauce:
100g of soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup firmly packed)
85g of caster sugar (1/2 cup)
5 TBS butter, softened
125ml of heavy cream (1/2 cup)
1 tsp rum flavouring (You can use 1 TBS of real rum if you wish)

Whipped Cream to serve

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter and flour a 9 inch pie dish very well. Set aside.

Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the caster sugar and the egg. Combine the flour, salt, cinnamon and grated nutmeg. Stir into the creamed mixture, along with the water and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Stir in the chopped apple. Spoon the batter into the prepared pie dish. Smooth the top over and then bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.

For the sauce, combine the sugars, cream and butter in a small saucepan. Heat and stir over medium low heat until the butter is melted. Bring to the boil and allow to boil for one minute only. Remove from the heat, stir in the rum flavouring. Serve warm or at room temperature with the cake.

Cut the cake into wedges to serve. Top each wedge with some sauce and a dollop of whipped cream.

6 comments

  1. Marie this will be next up on my baking list! My younger son does like things made with apples and I've always wanted to try your 'pie cake'...this looks delish! I'll let you know how it goes when I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my oh my oh my, I do love pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaajess, gaajess, gaajess! I think I'll make this cake for church this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, YUM! Marie, you just know how to do it, my friend! Everything you do looks so wonderfully decadent--even from waaaay over here!

    Wish life wasn't as crazy as it is right now so I could visit more regularly--I feel like the worst bloggy friend these days!

    Sending lots of springy love and joy your way, dear friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks to die for and that sauce!!!! simply scrumptious!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I say Marie ?? this apple pie is to die for! wonderful!!
    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!