Two Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with a Cider Glaze

Thursday 27 October 2011



This is a recipe that has certainly been making it's rounds of the internet. I've seen it in more than one place lately. I have to admit I found it quite intriguing.



I don't normally use cake mixes and in truth there are not a lot of that sort of thing over here in the UK. You can get a Devil's Food one and a Carrot Cake one, both Betty Crocker brand. I've not seen any others, but that's not to say they can't be found.



I was a little bit skeptical . . . a cake with only two ingredients . . .one of which was a cake mix and the other a tin of pumpkin puree. Could this be any good??? Would this actually work???



Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell . . . it is and it does! I only had a carrot cake mix, which worked very well. The batter will be very thick, and you may think it will never turn out, but it turns out lovely . . . and very, very moist.



The glaze on top is delicious! Todd's eaten two pieces already. Who knew it would be so good???



*Two Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with a Cider Glaze*
Makes one 7 by 11 inch cake
Printable Recipe

Quick, easy and rather scrummy if I don't say so myself! It's a bit of a cheat, but what the heck, once in a while . . .

1 cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Carrot Cake Mix
as that is one of the few kinds we can get over here, but do feel free to use a
white or yellow cake mix if you wish, just so long as it makes a double layer cake)
1 425g tin of pumpkin puree (2 cups)

For the Glaze:
140g icing sugar, sifted (1 cup)
2 TBS apple juice or cider (non alcoholic)
1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice, or mixed spice



Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a 7 by 11 inch baking tin and line with baking parchment. Set aside.

Beat the cake mix together with the tinned pumpkin for 2 minutes, using an electric whisk, until light and fluffy. Spread into the prepared baking pan. Bake for about 28 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool completely before proceeding. (I allowed it to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and then turned it onto a wire rack to finish cooling.)

Whisk the glaze ingredients together and then spoon over top of the cake. Delicious!



Over in The Cottage today, a delicious Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup.

5 comments

  1. Marie that looks so tasty I still have pumpkin in the fridge .thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try this as soon as I can get the 2 ingredients, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please please please tell me where you managed to find pumpkin puree in the UK! They sold if for a few months about two years ago and since then I've never seen it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Marie, I rarely use a cake mix but couldn't resist this recipe!
    I bought a Betty Crocker "country carrot cake mix" as it is now called. Do you literally omit the other added ingredients (eggs, oil and water) and add the pumpkin purée instead?
    It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jean, that is all you use the cake mix and the tinned pumpkin! I would not have believed it if I had not done it and experienced it myself. I hope you enjoy it! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!