Friday Night Fish

Friday 21 October 2011



Something that is very popular here in the UK on Friday nights is good old fish and chips. I can remember that being one of the things I was really looking forward to when I first came over here. Fish and Chips . . . the batter all light and crisp . . . the chips, handcut and crispy brown . . . sprinkled with salt and malt vinegar and wrapped up in newspaper. This was the stuff of childhood dreams and I was not disappointed. Fish and Chips are so popular on Friday nights over here that the queues at the Chippie often go around the corner . . . all people waiting for their weekly treat of Friday Night Fish and Chips.

Since I haven't been doing a lot of cooking over these past couple of days due to the flu/pneumonia I thought it would be fun to do a roundup of my favourite fish dishes that I have cooked on here. After all it is Friday Night and Friday night is Fish Night!



First up, good old fashioned Beer Battered Fish and Chips. The batter light and crisp. The fish moist and tender. The chips crunchy and brown on the outside and fluffy on the insides. Oh so scrummy!




Next up, some scrummy Fish Tacos. Not typically British I know. But who can resist them with those crispy pieces of battered cod, that crunchy salad, that delectable sauce . . . all wrapped up in a warm tortilla. Move over Kebabs! Fish Tacos are taking over!



Maybe you're in the mood for some Creamy Baked Cod. The fish all meltingly tender and baked beneath a rich topping of cream and cheese and crisp bread crumbs. Oh so deliciously wanton! Serve with a green vegetable and some boiled new potatoes for a real treat!



How about some delicious crispy Cod Fish Cakes with a Scrummy Homemade Horseradish Tartar Sauce!! Not a filler in sight. These tasty fish cakes are just fish, minced and mixed with some herbs and onion, rolled in bredcrumbs and fried until cripsy on the outside, but meltingly tender on the insides . . . that homemade tartar sauce filled with the delicious flavours of tangy cornichons, capers and horseradish . . . oh so perfect with those lovely crispy cakes!



Next up Crispy Cod with a tasty fresh Gazpacho Salad. Delicously healthy and oh so quick and easy to make! Beautifully moist and crisp cod on a bed of a wonderful salad filled with cucumbers, pepper, onions, tomatoes . . . colourful and oh so good!



Delicious Butter Baked Cod. One would be forgiven for mistaking the delicious flavour of this dish for Lobster . . . it's not of course, but it could be! Oh so scrummy with baked potatoes and a green vegetable and salad!



It's not all fried, unhealthy or filled with fat! How about some delicious Lemon Roasted Cod with an Edamame Mash! Moist fish, flavoured with basil and lemon and served on a bed of fresh edamame bean mash, along side some roasted vine tomatoes! Delicously different and tasty!



Finally there are these deliciously scrummy Colcannon Haddock Fish Cakes. Filled with two kinds of fish, potato, onions, cabbage, grainy mustard and a delighful mix of flavours and herbs, these crispy cakes please on many levels. Crisp on the outside, tender and flavourful on the insides. Served with a simple rocket and tomato salad, they are real winners!

So why not try some fish for tea tonight! For a delicious assortment of these and some other tasty recipes, click HERE. and HERE. Also the titles of the individual dishes are also links to the recipes. I can promise you they are all delicious and very easy to make. Enjoy!

Hope to be back tomorrow with something new, God willing.



In The Cottage today, Baked Apples withMincemeat and Cream.

12 comments

  1. What fabulous fish recipes. I still love the old fashioned fish and chips the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I remember waiting in line at my local chip shop and eventually making it to the counter where all the amazing smells are! When I travel back, it's the first place I head to..
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are soon feeling better, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post and wonderfun ideas

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't say I'm completely sorry you are sick - I'm praying you feel better soon - BUT I am SO HAPPY you put together the "fish" blog - I've found 3 or 4 new fish dishes that I will try - tomorrow is the farmers market in my wee village on the Hudson River in NY - and we have a "fish monger" who I will consult on which fish would be good in two of the recipes - the other two I'll hold in check until deep winter - that baked creamy cod will be perfect on a really cold snowy day and the cod fish cakes incredible on a cold late autumn Saturday when running chores are done and something just "something" special is needed for dinner.
    I LOVE YOUR BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we really enjoy fish Marie.. in fact growing up ..in a catholic home..fish was every Friday night..or pancakes:)

    Thanks for all the great fish recipes you have shared..

    ReplyDelete
  8. You now have me craving fish! I love fish, but I hate to cook it. What is with that? Something we enjoyed up north, but which they are lacking here in the south are fish fries. I could eat one (or two) every week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GET well soon Marie and in the meantime I will drool over your lovely fish recipes!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make me want to eat fish right now! :-) Thank you for sharing your fabulous recipes.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot to say - I hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a great fan of fish. I grew up on the coast of New England and we ate all kinds of fish and often. Had sole for lunch today and it was yummy. Hope you are soon all recovered.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!