Grilled Chops with a Hoisin Marinade and Glaze

Monday 11 July 2011



Last night I cooked the last of the meat that I had left from my visit to Jimmy's Farm earlier this week. As you know we got to attend a special Butchering Class in which Joe Collier and Jimmy showed us all the different cuts of pork and advised us on the best way to cook each cut for optimum enjoyment and flavour!



I found it to be a really interesting class, as having grown up in North America we call different cuts of meat by different names and also cut the meat in different types of cuts, so I really found it quite informative and fascinating.



I came home with a rolled pork belly, which I proceeded to cremate by accident (Seriously. It occasionally happens to even the best of us!! It still tasted good, but was not that attractive in all sincerity!), and a lovely Rack of Pork and the tasty pork chops with you see here today. If you want to see how the Rolled Pork Belly should have looked, you can check out Julie's photo here. We shared it between us and she didn't forget hers in the oven until it was burnt to a crisp like I did! (DO go take a look. Her's looks wonderful!)



Earlier this week I did the Rack of Pork and last night I did the chops. I didn't want to just fry them. I wanted to do something special with then . . . and I think I did!

Deliciously moist and sticky! With a wonderful hoisin marinade and glaze. Perfect!



Of course starting off with a quality cut of pork makes all the difference in the world. Rare breed free range pork is the way to go! Oh so lovely and full of flavour!
All I did was add some icing to an already very, very tasty cake! You'll be licking your fingers with enjoyment wanting to get every scrap opf those delicious flavours with these! Trust me on this!

Once again many thanks to Jimmy and the Put Pork On Your Fork people!



*Grilled Chops with a Hoisin Marinade and Glaze*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Lovely free range pork chops marinated in a wonderful marinade chock full of Oriental flavours and then grilled and basted with the same marinade until finger lickingly scrummy delicious!

4 free range pork chops, rind trimmed off, each about 1/2 inch thick
(Leave some fat around the edges)
125ml of hoisin sauce ( 1/2 cup)
60ml of dark soy sauce (Scant 1/4 cup)
2 TBS toasted sesame oil
2 TBS rice wine vinegar
1 TBS minced garlic
1 TBS minced fresh ginger
1/4 tsp hot chili powder
4 TBS runny honey
vegetable oil

Whisk the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, minced garlic, minced ginger and chili powder together in a large shallow dish, mixing all together well. Add the chops and turn them around to coat them well in the sauce. Allow to sit at room temperature for about an hour to marinate, given them a quick swish and turn every time you walk past them.

At the end of that time, remove them from the marinade, letting any excess drip off. Place the marinade into a saucepan along with the honey. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a quick simmer and simmer for about 10 minutes, while you grill the chops.

Heat your grill pan and brush it with some cooking oil. Also, preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Have ready a baking dish.

Place your chops onto the heated grill and sear well on both sides, until golden brown and the fat on the edges has begun to crisp. (About four to five minutes per side.) Place into the baking dish. Pour the thickened marinade over top and then bake in the heated oven for about 10 minutes longer, until just cooked through, but still moist. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes before serving.

Place one chop on each of four heated plates. Spoon a bit of sauce over top and pass the rest at the table. Delicious!

9 comments

  1. Marie that looks DELISH! Sounds like you had a great time at Jimmy's farm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious, I do love sticky chops! Lovely!
    Karen/FT

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful marinade! I think I might try this on some fish too, some salmon maybe. Glad you and a great time at the farm! :o) Happy Day, dear Marie--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely fantastic and just the thing to do with pork chops. I will definitely be making these this week. And I agree with you that the quality of your meat makes such a big difference and it is worth seeking out a good farm source -or doing the work of raising it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are making me drool just looking at them! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta try that recipe..looks delicious!

    So glad I'm not alone in the confusion of terms for the different meat cuts. If you get 5 minutes I'd love to hear the translation.. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this one! I've had an unopened jar of hoisin sauce sitting on the shelf for a long time now. I needed to find an interesting use for it and here you've provided it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's kind of similar to a recipe I have for roasted chicken legs, although mine is without soy sauce, vinegar, chilli and sesame oil. I would suggest adding the sesame oil at the very end, once the sauce is cooked. Cooking sesame oil destroys its flavour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been to the butchers today and bought.... pork, yep, haven't had enough of it yet. I'm going to try this recipe now. The last one you gave me with cumin, coriander etc was delicious, I turned it into a byriani type dish... very nice!
    thanks Marie x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!