Warm Potato Salad with a Green Olive Dressing

Sunday 10 April 2011



All of the UK is basking in wonderfully warm temperatures and golden sunlight. As anyone who has lived over here for any amount of time comes to know . . . you must make hay whilst the sun shines, coz one never knows how long it is going to shine!



So we've been taking full advantage of it, gardening, and cutting the grass. Walking the dog. Lazing about in the garden on our lawn chairs. Watching the gold fish in the pond. Gazing at all the blossoms on our pear, apple and plum trees, and thinking about all the fruit to come. Chasing wasps out of the kitchen who have mistakingly thought that it was a place that they would be welcome.



In short, squeezing every amount of pleasure that we can get out of each day!!

I love it when the warmer weather comes . . . it's time to break out the grill and I start craving crunchy green things and lots of salads, one of my favourites being potato salad.



I love vinaigrette based potato salads most of all. Oh I do love my mother's mayonnaise based potato salad, but . . . somehow mine never tastes quite the same. Must be that extra little love seasoning she puts into it.



I love the dressing on this one. It's fresh and green and tangy and salty, all at the same time! Oh, I do love green olives, capers and lemons . . . tossed together in a dressing and soaked into warm salad potatoes, this is the perfect dish for these warm sunny days. It goes down a real treat with grilled chicken or fish!



*Warm Potato Salad with a Green Olive Dressing*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

A delicious warm potato salad with a tangy dressing. Moreishly good!

3 1/2 pounds of salad potatoes, scrubbed, but not peeled (Nicola, Pink Fir, Charlotte,
you want a waxy potato, small in size)
70g pack of pitted green olives with herbs and garlic (about 1/2 cup), finely chopped
2 tsp of pickled capers, drained and finely chopped
the finely grated zest of one lemon
the juice of one lemon
2 spring onions, finely chopped
a small handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
125ml of extra virgin olive oil (1/2 cup)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Place the potatoes into a large saucepan and cover with lightly salted water. Bring to the boil and then cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. (The tip of a sharp knife should slice in and out easily.) Drain and cool slightly.

Place the olives, capers and spring onions in a bowl. Stir in the lemon zest, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil. Beat with a fork to combine.

Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and then gently toss in the dressing while they are still warm. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

8 comments

  1. Hi there in sunny Chester- my daughter's boyfriend hails from that lovely city. Just found your blog yummo! Ill in bed at moment but as soon as I re - surface will try some of your wonderful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family will love this..i don't think I can find those exact olives though:( Boohoo..what would compare here Marie?

    Warmth is good:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm Carmen, from the North of Spain.I'm so glad I've got to your lovely blog. I'll come and learn from your lovely recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marie these potatoes look yummy,yummy Im so hungry now! look really nice, I love sald potatoes, send you huggs and kisses, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post! What a beautiful salad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie.. can I serve this just room temp? It would be to bring to a party..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!