Lime Drizzle Berry Cake

Saturday 5 March 2011



All week long I had been looking forward to having the missionaries over for supper on Friday evening. As you know I just love to feed them and they also love for me to feed them!



Today we took a trip to Mold. We had heard there were a lot of really cool charity shops there. What a neat little town, and the rumours were true. There WERE a lot of really cool charity shops there. We came away with a whole lot of really nice stuff . . .



We also found a fabulous green grocers with some really beautiful vegetables, and at really good prices as well. I picked up the most heavenly cauliflower, and some really nice looking potatoes.



We got home about mid afternoon, feeling really good about ourselves and our purchases . . . and then had just settled in to relax a bit, when Todd said . . . "Weren't the missionaries coming for their tea tonight???"



Cue panic stations! Thankfully I had also picked up some really nice meaty bangers (pork and caramelized onion) and I threw together some bangers and mash, along with some stewed red cabbage, carrots and a nice cauliflower cheese. Whew!! The loaf of french bread I'd picked up went over really well also.



But what went over best of all was this deliciously buttery, moreishly fantastically moist cake . . . stogged full of lucious raspberries and blueberries . . . and topped with a scrummy lime drizzle, which melts into all that buttery goodness.

Easy peasy lemon squeasy. They loved it and went back for seconds . . . of everything! Mission accomplished! (Oh, I do love it when I manage to pull a rabbit out of the hat!)



*Lime Drizzle Berry Cake*
Serves 12
Printable Recipe

Buttery, moist, stogged full of fruit with a tangy lime drizzle topping. DEEEElicious!

225g of butter, softened (1 cup plus 1 TBS)
225g of caster sugar (1 1/4 cup)
4 medium free range eggs
2 llimes, the grated zest, plus the juice
250g of self raising flour, sifted together with 1/2 tsp salt (1 3/4 cup)
25 g of ground almonds (1/4 cup)
100g each blueberries and raspberries (about 1 cup of each)
For the syrup:
8 TBS lime juice
140g of caster sugar (about 1/2 cup)

Cream to serve (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter an 8 inch square cake tin and line it with paper. Butter the paper.

Cream together the butter, lime zest and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until all are amalgamated. You may need to add a bit of the flour to keep it from splitting. Fold in the flour. Stir in enough lime juice to make a batter with a good dropping consistency. Fold in 3/4 of the berries. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth over and then sprinkle with the remaining berries.

Bake for 1 hour, or until risen, lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in to the centre comes out clean.

While the cake is baking make the syrup by heating the lime juice and sugar together until the sugar melts.

When the cake is done remove it from the oven, prick the top all over with a skewer and pour the syrup over top right away. Store tightly covered. Cut into squares to serve. Serve warm or at room temperature with or without pouring cream.

Speaking of winners, Mam lucky number 19, you are the winner of my giveaway as chosen by an online thingie. I don't know how to post a picture of it, so I can't show you, but trust me, it was you Mam! Send me your details and I'll pop it into the post for you asap. Thanks everyone for joining in! I wish I could give you all something!

7 comments

  1. Brilliant job, my friend! Never would doubt you for an instant in a pinch! I'll bet the missionaries loved every bit of it!

    Wishing you a lovely weekend, dear friend...sending you so much love tonight...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds so good! Mission accomplished for the mission aries..:) and us!

    Easy peasy lemon squeasy:) Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh I wish I had a piece of this right now! Looks so moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to be so dense -- but what, pray tell, are missionaries? People who come to your house to try to convert you to? and you feed them?

    The little berry cake is divine looking. So easy peasy and yummy too. How about the bangers and mash recipe, too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can make this taste good too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so easy to put together and made a beautifully moist, light and flavoursome cake. We had ours warm as a dessert with cream and that was the perfect thing to partner it. Lovely - and I will be making this again for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!