Potato Pizza

Wednesday 26 May 2010



I guess it is a bit of a stretch to call this a Potato Pizza . . . really.


There is no crust . . . not unless you consider crisp skinned baked potatoes a crust . . . the outsides all crisp potato skins . . . crunchy and earthy . . . the insides all fluffy and meltingly tender . . .



Split in half and laid bare . . . with a deliciously cheesy topping chock full of rich tuna, tangy cheddar, spring onions, zesty pepperonata (from a jar) and salty dry cured olives . . . not to mention a bit of Italian spice . . .

I supposed the only way this resembles a pizza is that it is flattened and spread with a delicious topping . . .



Another way of looking at it would be to call them the most scrumptious, taste bud tittilating, gorgously scrummy, D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S jacket potatoes you have ever eaten!!!

Not to mention very easy to make and the kids love em!



Go on . . . make them tonight. Your family will thank you for it. All you need as a go with, is a tastily tossed side salad!




*Potato Pizzas*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Quick, easy, cheap and the kids love them!

4 medium baking potatoes, washed well and dried
one half of a jar (290g) of pepperonata antipasta
one (225g) jar of albacore tuna in spring water, drained and flaked
2 spring onions, chopped
200g (8 ounces) of strong cheddar cheese grated
(I use the semi skim, no problem)
a handful of black olives, chopped
salt and black pepper to taste
1 tsp Italian Seasoning

Prick the potatoes all over with a fork to stop them from bursting during cooking. Arrange them evenly spaces on a microwaveable dish that you have lined with a double layer of paper kitchen towelling. Cook in the microwave on high for 8 minutes. Flip them over and cook them for another 8 minutes. (Alternatively you can bake them in a hot oven for about an hour. I place them directly on the oven rack and bake at 200*C/400*F Gas mark 6 This is my preferred method.)

While the potatoes are cooking make the tuna topping, and preheat your grill to high. Gently mix the tuna, pepperonata, onions, olives, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning together in a bowl along with about 1/3 of the cheese.

Take the potatoes out and cut then in half lengthwise, leaving them still attached along one side. Open them out like a book and place them onto a baking tray. Pile the tuna mixture over top and scatter the remaining cheese over top. Grill for 5 to 6 minutes, until the cheese has melted and started to brown.

21 comments

  1. oooh !!
    this is such a great idea , i have to make it soon .
    I keep making different types of pizza base but never thought of potatoes...thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fantastic and great for when you don't want to make bread or have a coeliac coming for dinner. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are trying to kill me, aren't you! I love carbs, but they don't love me. And cheesy carbs, oh my, delicious! This is supper tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, potato pizza is an absolute favorite of mine, but I must say this is a new way of doing it- and it looks fabulous!!! Love this!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meant to say, I have given you an award. Please visit my blog for details.

    http://appleandspice.blogspot.com/2010/05/7-things-for-2-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh how nice is that - pizza potato?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see how anyone would love these! How comforting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect recipe! So handy! I have passed an award on to you. Lucie x
    http://cookingatmarystow.blogspot.com/2010/05/award-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Marie, Marie, you are one of my favorite people on earth. I can tell you that I've just scrolled through your latest recipes and bookmarked them all.

    My kids are going to be thrilled with the Fish Finger Enchiladas...YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I think I just MAY make them tonight, Marie! I just bought a big bag of potatoes, and this would be perfect!

    Thanks for sharing all your amazing recipes! Love you loads!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that has put my rather sad looking dinner (a bowl of salad no less! I know!) to complete and utter shame! Must have mety cheese ... and crisp potato NOW ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You KNOW when I'm making these: next time hubby is out of town and the kids and I crave our comfort food! Yippee! These sound fabulous. You are so creative and it's always a pleasure to try your recipes. Happy day! xx P&H

    ReplyDelete
  13. How funny, I made potato pizza last week, one of my favs. This looks so delish, I just wish I liked tuna, but I think it will still be yummy without. Love the blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marie, these potatoes pizza look fantastic, yummy recipe, send you huggs my dear friend, huggs, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks super tasty whatever you want to call it! i love baked potatoes for a lazy evening meal, and this one takes it up a notch, or two!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great and novel idea. Got to try that one out on my "oh no, not baked potatoes for dinner" brigade :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so tasty and just a little different. We enjoyed them very much and it made a quick, tasty Saturday night dinner with a tossed salad. We can't get jars of pepperonata antipasta here, but I always make my own and I made sure to have enough to make this, plus to be able to stir through some pasta for dinner tomorrow :) It was lovely to get all those brilliant Italian flavours in a baked potato. Another of your very clever ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love LOVE your idea of stirring it through some pasta for dinner. I can almost taste it Marie! Thank you so much! So pleased you are working your way through some of my older recipes! Thank YOU! xoxo

      Delete
  18. Marie, Found you via Pinterest. This has become a weekly meal in our house. thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks very much Steve! I am so pleased that you and your family are enjoying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!