Hollygog Pudding

Sunday 2 May 2010



What do you make to comfort your soul on a dull wet Saturday on a bank holiday weekend, all your plans for barbeques, gardening and days out together gone up in smoke???

How about a stodgy, sweet and traditional pudding!!!! The type of pudding that school dinners used to be famous for!!



The type of pudding that would have had the famous five clambering back home, over hill and dale, to stuff themselves silly with!!! The type of pudding that the mere sight of makes your arteries start to ache and moan with anguish . . . and your heart and soul beat with longing . . .



You know exactly the kind I mean . . .



Something buttery, oh so very buttery . . . and deliciously, moreishly short and crumbly . . .



and filled with the sticky sweetness of golden treacle . . . or golden syrup as it is also known . . . giving it an underlying tone of *caramel-like* goodness . . . Served up hot and sliced . . . and then doused with lashings and lashings of custard or double cream . . .



Ohhh yesss . . . this fits the bill perfectly.

Just the ideal pud to eat slouched down on the sofa, with your legs tucked beneath you, as you watch the rain lashing down on the pavement out front of the house. Silently congratulating yourself on your decision to stay at home, and feeling sorry for the poor sods that are stuck in their cars in the motorway traffic, listening to the kids argue in the back seat, as the windshield wipers race back and forth in front of their noses . . .

not that we are smug or anything . . .

Now this . . . was worth staying in for. ☺



*Hollygog Pudding*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

Stodgy, rich and luvly. This is very easily made and is delicious when done. Don't let it's simplicity fool you into thinking this isn't something special.

280g self rising flour (2 cups)
a pinch of salt
2 TBS caster sugar
170g cold butter, cut into bits (3/4 cup)
approximately 3 TBS cold water
Golden Syrup
Milk for baking and glazing
demerara sugar for sprinkling
Warm custard or cream for serving


Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F/gas mark 6 .Sift the flour and salt into a basin, raising the flour up high to aerate it. Stir in the caster sugar. Drop in the butter and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough of the water to make a stiff dough. Pat out on a floured surface to a rectangle roughly 12 inches long and 8 inches wide. Spread the dough very thickly with golden syrup, leaving a one inch border on one side. Brush this edge with some milk. Roll up like a jelly roll to form a sausage shape. Pinch the ends together to close and then place the roll into a buttered deep pie dish or gratin dish, placing the seam underneath. Brush with milk and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Pour sufficient milk into the dish to come about halfways up the side of the pudding. Place into the heated oven and bake for 3o to 45 minutes, until the pudding is light golden brown.

To serve, cut into slices while still hot, or spoon out into bowls. Serve with warm custard or cream drizzled on top.

17 comments

  1. You HAD ME at BUTTERY! I could just picture myself curled up on a window seat with this lovely in a warm bowl on my lap....watching the rain....not a care in the world about calories, no sir-ee! Great imagery and a recipe among recipes! Happy Sunday and hope the rain clears : )
    xx P&H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Marie...how do you do it? I sat here drooling at the keyboard...my girls came up behind me & I read your description out loud to them, and they were in love!

    They both think that you should really be a writer--I agree! Your descriptions are magic--sheer magic! I will most likely be making this tomorrow--I need something like this--oh, yum!

    Love you loads, my friend--hope your weather clears up a bit for your Sunday...talk to you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great name for a pudding! Love it :0)
    Again, I've never heard of this before but I will certainly be giving it a try. Judging by the early morning gloom here I don't think its going to be a BBQ kind of day again - can't wait to see what you make next :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks so yummy. Will go in my "to bake list". Thanks Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh lovely! Will be trying this tonight...

    If you want something that makes "your arteries start to ache and moan with anguish . . . and your heart and soul beat with longing . . ." then you need to try (if you haven' already) Lardy Cake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks delish and I love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH wow, comfort food par excellence!!
    When is your book coming out?
    Can I have a signed copy? lol

    I watched Julie & Julia last night and I thought of you, a book would be Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I just happened upon your lovely blog and your recipes look yummy. Although I'm a bit confused about some of the measurements and ingredients, being American! Have pity on us poor Americans and translate when you can! :)

    Thanks for a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! It's supposed to be stormy tomorrow..... Oh, yes- we'll be having this
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh I love golden syrup. That does look delicious, I can almost taste the syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy cow that looks delicious! Anything with butter or custard or double cream can't be bad, right? I don't know where I'd find golden syrup, but I desperately need to make this. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Marie, how mouth watering!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure what I love more, the adorable English terms you use or the delicious-looking pudding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marie, thank you for sharing your beautiful blog and all your delicious photos. I will try several of your recipes. I also love reading your wonderful words. I simply love your accent. I can hear it in your writing and your fun words...reminds me of Harry Potter! I will continue to read your blog each day!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT pudding MarieAlice! I saw this on the Great British Puddings website some time back and saved it for future delight! Lovely to see it in "person"!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds delicious and comforting. I'm curious about the name: hollygog? what can it mean?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a fantastic, yummy to see this blog, good food, O i feel hungry now, let me have one please, Thanks for share this Yummy post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!