Turkey Burgers and Cranberry Catsup

Thursday 29 April 2010




I picked up some ground turkey at the grocery store today. I was craving a turkey burger and thought they would make the perfect supper for Todd and myself, quick and easy.

Normally I make my southwestern american style ones . . . filled with tasty things like cumin, coriander, chili and shallots. Oh my but they are good . . . served openfaced on a toasted English muffin with some quacamole and salsa on the side.

Today though, I wanted something different. You know how it is . . .



I decided to do a search online and I found this one HERE. It sounded delicious! There's some great things in there . . . dried cranberries, sage, thyme, onion. I did them pretty much as the recipe called for, except I used a red onion and I added about 8 ounces of grated strong cheddar cheese. Oh yes, I also left out the bread crumbs. I just didn't think they were needed. I thought I was onto a real winner here.

They looked and smelled fabulous when they were cooking. My tastebuds were a tinglin!!



They were kinda disappointing though. I served them on toasted buns, with some mayo and lettuce on the bottom and a spoonful of my homemade cranberry catsup on the top. We both thought . . . hmmm . . . these are only so . . . so.

In fact, neither one of us finished them. Sadly they went in the bin.



I was regretting not having made my usual ones as I stood in the kitchen afterwards doing the dishes . . . I went to clean out the skillet and I picked a piece off of the one that was remaining in the pan before I went to discard it. I couldn't believe how could something that had such a fabulous mix of flavours have come off as so bland and tasteless??? I needed one more taste just to satisfy my curiosity.

Wow, the taste of the burger on it's own knocked my socks off!!! In fact, it was soooo good that I secretly polished the leftover one there and then . . . all by my little old self.



My recommendation? Make these burgers . . . but leave off the bun. These little babies are delicious all on their own. Having a bun is a waste of time and bread. I'll make these tasty burgers again. I bet the mixture would make some delicious meatballs too, especially if you cooked them in a barbeque kind of sauce . . .

If you are interested here is my recipe for the cranberry catsup. It's really easy to make and goes really well with grilled chicken, turkey and pork.



*Cranberry Catsup*
Makes 8 ounces
Printable Recipe

This is really a no brainer, but I'm going to post it anyways coz it's soooooo good! Try it with your favourite burgers and with grilled chicken and pork. The catsup gives it just enough twang, but there is that underlying sweetness of the cranberry sauce. All in all perfect!

4 ounces whole berry cranberry sauce
4 ounces tomato catsup

Mix the both together with a fork until they are well amalgamated. Easy peasy, lemon squeasy! Do store any leftovers in the refrigerator in a covered container!

PS - Dee, if you e-mail me on MarieAliceJoan at aol dot com, I will be happy to e-mail you back with some converted measurements for that potato pie! Thanks!

9 comments

  1. Que aspecto tiene la hamburguesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cranberry catsup... I love that idea! Very zippy, I can imagine... I must make some of that! Happy Day, dear Marie--LOVE YA :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maravillosa hamburguesa, me he quedado boquiabierta, y con esa preciosa musica ha sido ya el remate, esto es un paraiso!!!! me encanta venir aqui darling!
    Un besote

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cranberry catsup sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Marie, I am so glad that you have settled in to your new home so well and that you are happy there, we really missed you for those two weeks you were offline. You truly are an inspirations to us all. I tried your cranberry catsup, and it is delicious, try it with cheese, amazing.Can't wait to try your meat pie from yesterday. My husband sounds like Todd, give hime meat and potatoes and he is a happy man.Love all your doll creations. I used to make similar ones myself. You really are a gifted Lady.MCCanada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for making my recipe MarieAlice; I am truly grateful that you tried my humble burgers! I suppose it is "Horses for Courses", I personally prefer my burgers with a bun, and all the trimmings too! LOL! A midweek burger is a naughty treat, so I usually go the whole hog and serve these burgers in ciabatta bread rolls or even better, home-made bread baps - lightly toasted. Your cranberry catsup looks interesting and I plan to try it out as soon as I get home to France! I have another spicier burger recipe you might want to try http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/The-Towering-Inferno-Chilli-Coconut-and-Coriander-Pork-Burger-312417. This "Canadian" style burger you made, was posted to try and emphasise the wonderful local ingredients of your home country! (Including big buns! LOL!)Thanks once again, your catsup is on my menu very soon! I will report back! Merci encore, FT/Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I was reading this I kept thinking these would make some great meatballs. Towards the end I am glad to see that you thought so too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious, a definate one to try.

    There is something on my blog for you:o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to try that cranberry catsup! Here is another turkey burger that is my favorite:

    Feta Cheese Turkey Burgers

    1 pound ground turkey
    1 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
    2 teaspoons dried oregano ground black pepper to taste

    Mix all and grill or panfry.

    from AllRecipes.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!