Jacket Potatoes with Cream and Walnuts

Wednesday 27 January 2010



I have always loved to eat and to cook. One of the most favourite Christmas Presents I received as a child was a tiny little refrigerator. We were living in Germany at the time and I was mesmerized by this miniscule fridge. It was very detailed and filled with little bottles and things, pretend food. I tried to feed some of it to my sister, who was only an infant at the time, so that didn't make me or my fridge very popular with my mother . . . but I think it was an early sign of the cook's heart that burns within my breast.




Oh, the imaginary dinner parties and tea parties I catered to as a child . . . salads composed of dandelion leaves ( I had no idea that they were edible at the time) flowers and buds, all lovingly put together into what I saw as very wonderful creations. Mud pies . . . what fun!



I have always been amazed at how it all goes together. I often find myself wondering how certain things came about . . . like who was the first person who discovered that if you beat together some eggs and flour, sugar and leavening . . . you would get a cake? Or who decided that cows milk was fit for human consumption . . . oh, and that if you shook the cream around you would get butter and it was tasty on bread and in baked goodies. Or cheese . . . who invented cheese?



I love to experiment myself with different flavours and ingredients. It is really inspiring to me how you can pick a few simple ingredients, all tasty . . . and then mix them together into something that is incredibly tastily moreish! Like these wonderful jacket potatoes . . . stogged full of buttery fried mushooms, stinking of lovely garlic, chives and parsley . . . and then slathered with cream and cheese. Oh, these are sooooooo good!

They make a wonderful light lunch or supper dish with a tasty salad on the side. I'm so glad I thunk em up.



*Jacket Potatoes with Cream and Walnuts*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Crispy jacket potatoes, stuffed with sauteed garlic, mushrooms and chives . . . then topped with cream and cheese. What's not to like?

4 large baking potatoes
3 ounces of butter
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and minced
5 1/2 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 TBS snipped fresh chives
2 TBS chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
salt and black pepper
6 ounces of double cream
4 TBs grated strong cheddar cheese
4 tBS chopped lightly toasted walnuts to garnish
fresh mixed salad to serve

Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/375*F. Scrub the potatoes and then prick the skins several times with a fork. Place right on the rack in the oven and bake for 1 1/4 hours, or until cooked through. (they should give when lightly pressed) About five minutes before the end of the cooking time, heat the butter in a frying pan until it begins to foam. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender and beginning to brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Remove the potatoes from the oven. Cut in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the flesh into a bowl, leaving the skins intact. Add the remaining butter to the potatoe and mash well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the herbs and the mushroom mixture. Spoon the mixture back into the potato shells. Place in a baking dish. Spoon the cream over top and then sprinkle the cheese evenly over. Return to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and scatter the walnuts over top. Serve with a mixed salad if desired.

11 comments

  1. OH Marie do these ever look good and your photos are wonderful!

    SU'd for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie Marie Marie:)And the story about feeding your baby sister:)Thanks..as always..You're a great cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never think to put walnuts on potatoes, but these look and sound yummy. I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you still have your little fridge? I wish I had saved my little cooking stuff for my daughter to play with now! I adore a good potato, but this one would be heavenly! I am making this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit giddy with excitement right now to make these potatoes!! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  6. everytime i read your wonderful writings contained here and A Year From Oak Cottage, my heart suddenly becomes serene and calm. i have never met you, but i truly feel and know you are a precious woman with an equally wonderful and precious man by your side. i adore the way you cook and am constantly looking for ways to make many of your recipes vegan, especially this one. my tummy is growling! i pray you have the words to keep writing and sharing yourself for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my, i'm never coming back here on an empty stomach again. i feel
    faint with hunger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be good hearty lunch. I made chicken club jacket potatoes that were good. I definitely would like to try your version. Yummy cream….
    Here is the link for my potatoes if you want to check them out:

    http://tinaculbertson.blogspot.com/2009/10/magazine-monday-early.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks wonderful! Must give this a try soon :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!