Buttermilk Chicken

Tuesday 8 December 2009



Buttermilk is one of my favourite ingredients to bake with. Cakes, muffins, breads . . . all benefit greatly from the addition of buttermilk, with moist and delicious results.

Some people like to drink buttermilk. It's known to have some great benefits and can immunize against such toxins as poison oak and ivy . . .

Who knew???



Buttermilk pancakes and biscuits are fabulous, and not to be outdone by any other kinds.

Soaking chicken in buttermilk before frying is a well known southern trick in the US. Buttermilk fried chicken is supposed to be incredibly delicious.



I'd like to stand up and be counted here . . . chicken baked in buttermilk is mighty fine as well! This is a real winner.



Trust me. (Sometimes even I cheat and use tinned soup. Don't hate me for it . . . this is incredibly easy, in-expensive and delicious. Win . . . Win . . . Win.)




*Buttermilk Chicken*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

I'm not sure how it works, but the buttermilk in this recipe helps to create chicken that is moist and very tender. This is delicious!

2 ounces butter
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 heaped TBS of plain flour
2 284ml containers of buttermilk
1 (285g) tin of Batchelors condensed cream of mushroom soup
chopped fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish

Pre-heat the oven to 205*C/425*F. Melt the butter in a 13 by 9 inch shallow baking dish. Set aside.

Sprinkle the chicken breasts on both sides with the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place the flour in a shallow bowl and one container of the buttermilk in another shallow bowl.

Dip the breasts, one at a time, first into the buttermilk and then into the flour, shaking off any excess, but coating it well. Lay good side down in the melted butter in the baking dish. Repeat until all four have been coated.

Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip over. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes longer.

While the chicken is baking whisk together the other container of buttermilk and the undiluted mushroom soup.

Remove the chicken from the oven and pour the soup mixture over top. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until nicely browned. Remove the chicken pieces to four warmed plates. Stir the soup mixture in the pan and then spoon equally over top of the chicken pieces. Serve immediately with some parsley sprinkled over each.

4 comments

  1. I can almost taste it, Marie! I can't wait to try this! Just printed off your Tuna and Artichoke Melt to make for the family tomorrow--got all the ingredients today, and I'm excited to give it a go!

    I absolutely don't drink buttermilk, but I know it does amazing things to food--I use it in my biscuits often, but I never thought to bake chicken in it--you're a genius! (I say that to you a lot, don't I? Well, I truly think you are!)

    Hope your day is going wonderfully! I took a small break from decorating the tree with the family to check on things--off to bed soon! I'll chat with you again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one for my hubby... he loves anythign with chicken! I don't like drinking milk or buttermilk... but I use buttermilk a lot in cooking and baking to great result. Happy Day, dearest friend... LOVE YA :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cooking with buttermilk too. I bet this was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracias por las recetas. Que buena pinta, tienen todas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!