Moroccan Carrot Salad with Green Olives and Mint

Monday 6 July 2009




Because we are going away on holiday for a few weeks, I was busy this past weekend trying to use up any produce that I thought might go off while we are away . . . there is nothing worse than coming home to rotten fruit and veg . . . or worse yet, having it go to waste when half the world is starving . .


I had a bunch of baby carrots that needed using badly. They were very small and I just knew that they would not last two more weeks without being used.

I decided to make a delicious salad.



A salad with decidedly Moroccan Flavours . . . cumin, coriander, mint, harissa, green olives . . . a salad that appeals to all my senses . . .

I love Moroccan food . . . spicy and warm . . . sensual and appealing . . . fragrant. It feeds the eyes, tongue, and soul.



*Moroccan Carrot Salad with Green Olives and Mint*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

I love salads and I adore combining unusual ingredients and flavours to make interesting salads. This is really delicious and a bit spicy. A real treat to eat on a warm summer's day!

1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1 TBS red wine vinegar
2 TBS olive oil
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and minced
2 tsp harissa paste
1/4 tsp orange flower water
1 1/2 pounds of baby carrots, trimmed and well washed
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounce) large green olives, pitted and thinly sliced
2 TBS shredded fresh mint
1 ounce of Salad leaves (rocket, spinach, watercress etc.)



Dry fry the cumin and coriander in a small skillet until quite fragrant, about 30 seconds or so. Place in a large mixing bowl and whisk together with the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, harissa and orange flower water. Set aside to allow the flavours to meld.

Place the carrots in a pot of boiling salted water and cook until crispy tender, about 5 minutes. Drain into a colander and allow to air dry for several minutes. While still hot, add them to the red wine dressing in the bowl, tossing gently to coat. Allow to cool to room temperature. Toss in the green olives and mint. Season with some salt and pepper if desired.

Place the salad leaves on chilled plates and divide the carrot mixture evenly amongst them.

Note - I will be away on holiday for the next few days, so I am bringing over some of my posts from my old page, Marie Cooks Britain. More tasty recipes to enjoy!

10 comments

  1. I Love your creations! Your blog is such a day brightener! I have an award for you waiting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting salad...the sweet carrot paired with salty olive--love the idea. Love the flavors here--and so pretty a dish. I'll miss your recipes while you're away... But so glad you're going away for a wonderful holiday...Be safe, be merry! LOVE YOU HEAPS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love carrot salads..I have never made anything w/ harissa and just started experimeneting w/ Morrocan.Thanks for this !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't harissa wonderful? I could sit and sniff a jar forever and a day!

    Have a lovely holiday. Auf weidersehen, Pet.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks heavenly! What a great way to use a crop of summer carrots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really, really fabulous salad - full of flavour, texture and lots of interesting ingredients. We enjoyed this one a lot - a perfect amount of spice and heat and the sweetness of the carrots to counterbalance the heat. It's going to be a firm favourite around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you enjoyed this Marie! I have a wealth in these earlier recipes. Most never even get looked at. I perhaps need to re-cook and update the photography. Anyways, am always happy when you cook one of them! It really makes my day! xoxo

      Delete
    2. I'm finding your archives a real treasure trove. I try and make something from it each day, whether it be a main dish, a salad, a side dish, dessert, something baked. There is always something new to try out and I love that your recipes are easy to follow, use ingredients that can be found (or substituted) easily and they always work. Your tips are invaluable as is your tweaking here and there of old classics. As a tweaker myself, I love that. I also enjoy the narrative you weave around the recipes - it's a joy to read and I'm so grateful I found your site.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much Marie. I wish more people felt like you do! I so appreciate it! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!