Gooseberry Gingernut Fool

Sunday 26 July 2009



Oh what a fool I am for a fool. A fool has to be one of the easiest desserts to make ever. All you need is a bit of fruit puree and some whipped cream. Add in some buttery biscuit crumbs and you have a dessert fit for royalty.



You could use strawberry puree and crushed shortcake biscuits and it would be delicious!



You could use blueberry puree and crushed ginger biscuits and it would be fabulous!



You could use raspberry puree and crushed tea biscuits and it would be scrummy!!



Or you could do like I did and use a gooseberry puree and crushed gingernuts and it will be scrumdiddlyumptious!

Easy Peasy, Gooseberry Squeasy!



*Gooseberry Gingernut Fool*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Tart gooseberry puree, softly whipped cream and buttery gingernut crumbs . . . this is a marriage made in heaven. This is absolutely when a threesome works!

4 ounces gingernut biscuits, crushed
1 1/2 ounces sweet butter, melted
8 ounces fresh gooseberries
1 TBS cold water
4 ounces caster sugar
1 cup double cream, whipped



Place the gooseberries into a saucepan along with the water. Cover and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, until very soft. At the end of that time, stir in the sugar, and then use your stick blender (my preferred method) to blend them into a puree. Alternately, pop them into your regular blender, or your food processor and blend until pureed. (DO so carefully with a towel over top, as hot things in a blender build up pressure and can pop the lid off, hence why I use my stick blender) Leave aside to cool completely, or pop in the fridge to chill it faster. (You can pour it onto a baking sheet and spread it out and it will chill really fast!) Once the gooseberry puree is completely cool, fold it into the whipped cream.

Mix the gingernut crumbs and the butter together. Place a little bit of them into the bottom of each of six dessert dishes. Spoon half of the fool over top of each. Sprinkle another layer of crumbs over top and then the remaining half of the gooseberry mixture. Top with a final layer of gingernut crumbs. Chill until completely cold.

Serve to six lucky people. Listen to the ooohs and ahhhs!

8 comments

  1. I haven't had gooseberries for years!
    This gooseberry fool of yours looks yummy Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love good english gooseberries! I recently made a raspberry fool using shortbread biscuits and it was delicious! I love your cream-tastic pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm craving gooseberry fool! And not a gooseberry in sight! Gorgeous photographs, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goosegogs, goosegogs - I do love them but they're as rare as hens' teeth up here, even frozen ones.

    Used some frozen blueberries for a similar thing yesterday but using 0% fat Greek Natural Yogurt instead of cream. Cream would be nicer (obviously) but this was very low-cal.

    I'm craving goosegogs now! See what you've done?

    Good job I love you anyway.
    Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first photo is just so pretty..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave your an award! Go to my blog to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Marie, thanks for making the background white for the printing - what an easy read it is now! You are just the bestest!

    This really looks tasty!

    Hugs,
    Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely dessert! We have a bumper crop of gooseberries this year so I used some of them to make this yesterday. It was so easy and the results are delicious, rich and creamy. An ideal summer treat. I like the ideas you gave with other berry/biscuit combinations and will try them as well - our raspberry canes are heaving, so that one will be next.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!